Courses in Yoga Therapy (PGDYT)
Yoga Bharati offers Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy (PGDYT and Yoga Therapy Foundation Course. These courses are extensive courses in yoga and its therapeutic applications along with a depth in yogat philosophy from the ancient scriptures of Upanishad, Bhagavad Gita and Patanjali Yoga Sutras. We are affiliated to Swami Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation (SVYASA), Bangalore, a premier Yoga University in India that has conducted research on yoga and its application to various ailments such as Diabetes, Hypertension, Backpain, Asthma, Cancer, etc. SVYASA has published more than 100 research papers and these are peer reviewed, published in various international journals and can be found on pubmed (keywords to search 'Vivekananda yoga'). This exhaustive and fulfilling course is provided and made easy for the busy working people. We have designed this course to be do-it-at-your-pace course although attending the classes is compulsory. This course may be registered for RYT-500. Below are some details.We are launching two Courses:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Yoga Therapy (PGDYT): This is an extensive course in yoga and its therapeutic applications along with a depth in yoga philosophy. This will applied for RYT-500 certification.
- Therapy Foundation Course for Yoga Teachers (TFC): A subset of PGDYT with exclusions on VYASA's Arogyadhama visit, Field Practice and Dissertation requirements. A Certificate from Yoga Bharati will be given and can be used towards RYT200 continued education or these credits can be used towards future PGDYT course.
Date/Time: Sunday afternoons - 3.5 hours between 1:30pm-5pm
Start Date: Jan 6th - Mar 31st;
Venue: India Community Center (ICC), Milpitas
PGDYT is a full fledged university degree course. See requirements below. If you want to do shorter version, you can go with Therapy Foundation Course for Yoga Teachers.
- Dr. Nagarathna, the Dean of Life and Health Sciences at VYASA has conducted a course on Common Ailments - an Intensive Workshop. We will provide recordings for you to listen, both this year's and last year's recordings; it is mandatory to listen. We will have quiz on this. Also, she will be available for a few more classes and Q&A sessions as a Webcast session.
- You will be attending classes as mentioned in the above schedule.
- You will be submitting a set of assignments at the end and taking a bunch of viva and other simple tests. Note: Real examination is done by VYASA (mostly here).
- You can start field practice after that.
- You will be visiting Prashanti, VYASA's health center in Bangalore for a minimum period of 14 days (two weeks) for clinical observation. This is the most valuable experience one gets in their therapy course. The staff of VYASA gives special attention and training for you.
- You will prepare a dissertation of 16 yoga participants in 8 ailments after conducting a minimum of 2 months of yoga therapy for each of them and tracking their progress.
- You will appear for a set of exams as administered by VYASA (YB exam center).
- You will present the dissertation to VYASA faculty (over webcast or at Bangalore center).
Important Note; Tuition fees includes training at Yoga Bharati over the period of 12 weeks, Common ailments lectures by Dr. Nagarthna, observations and coaching at the Yoga Bharati therapy classes, creating an infrastructure for therapy by frequent advertisements and marketing in general and helping with therapy participants' conditions, getting VYASA doctor's advice where needed and helping with designing the practice until you are confident of doing so yourself. Please note, we will be involved with you from start to end which may be 2-3 years which you do at your own pace. Please also note that the fees does not cover, Prashanti stay/visit, courses brought by Sambodh Society, Vedika Global, etc. However we negotiate and bring these courses for almost 25-50% discount for PGDYT/Therapy course for yoga teachers students. Just as a headsup, the cost of these workshops would be nominal ranging from 75-125 usually. We would say 2-3 such workshops may be arranged at most.
Fees for Therapy Foundation Course: $1500. This course will not give you a degree from VYASA, but we can give a certificate towards continued education for RYT200. It will allow you to teach classes to some of your friends, family and neighbors who have milder conditions and enable you to give therapy in a small scale or even teach the yoga classes with better knowledge about ailments people may suffer and tips on how to help them. Most importantly, it will give you deeper concepts of yoga and yoga therapy and will put you in a path to signup for PGDYT later when you can.
DETAILS ABOUT PGDYT Pre-requisite: YIC (Yoga Instructors Course or Yoga Teachers Training)
- Once a week classes and study groups in the Bay Area, California
- Lectures by Staff from SVYASA or other field experts - in person and teleconference
- Self-Study, Self practice, completing assignments and tests at the local center (Bay Area)
- Field Practice - Therapy classes to be taught by the students for the project report (dissertation)
- Visit to Prashanti Kutiram (Health Center) of Vyasa (Bangalore, India) for a min duration of 2 weeks, ideally 4 weeks, at your convenience
- Project report/Dissertation on various ailments that includes your research
What to expect from this course?
- An extensive knowledge of various yoga practices and their applications in addressing ailments - Integrated Approach to Yoga Therapy (IAYT)
- Study of human anatomy with respect to various psychosomatic ailments
- Concepts of four streams of yoga through Bhagavad Gita - Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga and Raja Yoga
- Selected sutras of Patanjali Yoga Sutras and their meanings and concept
- Alternative therapy like Ayurveda, Naturopathy etc.
- Research Methodology
- Advanced Yoga Techniques
- Spiritual Self growth
- A goal towards achieving peace and harmony for the self and the society
What can I do after completing this course?
One can choose to establish one's career as a Yoga Therapy Teacher for psychosomatic ailments or one can simply use this knowledge and experience to help ones own health and spiritual growth; Or help the community and take this as a hobby.
What is the duration of the course?
The course is a brought in affiliation with SVYASA, Bangalore. The course is a self paced course, but coming to the classes for contact hours is a must. Non-contact hours are done at your convenience and logged for our records. All the assignments and tests are to be submitted at your pace which will then be assessed and evaluated by the faculty for grading purposes. Upon completion of all the requirements, a certificate will be issued. An average working individual should give himself/herself, 2-3 years to complete the course depending on one's commitment and dedication.
Why should I take this course with Yoga Bharati?Yoga Bharati's goal is to provide the students with high standards of education and a glimpse into the spiritual grandeur of yoga and its multi-faceted field. This course is a platform for spiritual sadhana (self study and practice) to achieve a better quality of life resulting from the practice of yoga, both on and off the mat.
Yoga Bharati has been conducting therapeutic yoga classes for various ailments since 2008. Our yoga teachers are in constant touch with VYASA experts in handling various ailments and are experienced enough to conduct classes to share their knowledge and experience. Apart from this, Yoga Bharati will be hosting experts in the field of yoga philosophy and therapeutic applications of yoga from SVYASA, and other organizations as available.For questions, email workshop @ yogabharati.org.